Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Best Picture: "Gone with the Wind," 1939


Movie Stats:
Released 1940 (USA)
American, in English
Director – Victor Fleming
Stars – Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland, Leslie Howard, & Hattie McDaniel

Plot Summary:
I feel a little silly summarizing a movie that everyone already knows the plot of, but here goes. Spoiled, self-absorbed rich girl Scarlett O’Hara (Leigh) spends years and years pining after Ashley Wilkes (Howard). Although Ashley returns Scarlett’s feelings to some extent, he marries his own cousin, Melanie (de Havilland), instead. At the same time, Scarlett is pursued by known cad Rhett Butler (Gable). This is all set against the backdrop of the Civil War & subsequent Reconstruction. Hattie McDaniel plays Mammy, Scarlett’s loyal servant.

Bad Stuff:
It’s way too long. The library sent me the 2-disk, 70th anniversary edition. That’s about four hours worth of watching. I think it could have very easily been over at the close of the first disk, which ends on the iconic line “I’ll never be hungry again,” and I would’ve considered it an excellent movie. By the end of the second disk, I just wanted it to be over.

The portrayal of slaves as cowardly simpletons was uncomfortable at best. I know it’s how black people were portrayed in movies back in the day, but knowing that didn’t make me feel any better about it. Seriously cringe-inducing.

I never want to hear the words “Oh, Ashley!” again.

Good Stuff:
The whole thing was a lot more complex than I was expecting. I hadn’t realized that this movie was actually kind of deep. Rather than a piece that glorified the South and slavery, I got a commentary on the South’s hubris in getting involved in the war, and also on the fear & confusion that descended on the South after the end of the slavery era.

Most of the characters were also incredibly complex. Rhett shouldn’t really have been likable or sympathetic and yet he was. By the end of the movie, you’re almost desperate to hear him say that famous line (“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”). At the same time, you don’t want him to give up on Scarlett. You should hate her, but somehow it’s hard to do so because you can always sort of understand where she’s coming from. I absolutely loved her progression as a person. She grew up almost in spite of herself. That didn’t make her a good person. It didn’t turn her into a saint or a martyr, but the troubles she went through changed her in fundamental ways. I thought it was fascinating.

The version I watched was digitally re-mastered so it looked fantastic.

The Verdict:
I loved it. I honestly thought I would hate it. I’ve avoided this movie for years, assuming it was stupid fluff. What a pleasant surprise to discover that I was wrong! I get what the fuss has been about all this time. I would recommend this movie to absolutely anyone. If it had been shorter, I would’ve given it more stars. I have to dock it slightly for that, but not by much.

I give this movie 4.25 stars.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

And the book is even more complex than the movie! I read that book at just the right time (end of Jr. High) and absolutely loved it. I didn't love the movie as much because they compressed the story. But I did really love seeing all the clothing, especially the dresses.