Sunday, July 28, 2013

Best Picture: "My Fair Lady," 1964


Movie Stats:
Released 1964 (USA)
American, in English
Director – George Cukor
Stars – Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Wilfrid Hyde-White

Plot Summary:
Set in London in the late 1800s/early 1900s (the time frame is never clearly established). When the lives of English diction professor Henry Higgins (Harrison), Indian-dialect-obsessed Colonel Hugh Pickering (Hyde-White), and street vendor Eliza Doolittle (Hepburn) intersect, the two men make a bet that Higgins can turn Doolittle into a lady in six months.

Bad Stuff:
The basic premise of the story itself. See below in my verdict for a clearer explanation.

Hepburn’s fake low-class British accent is atrocious.

It’s very obvious that it’s not Hepburn singing most of her own songs (apparently she sang a few lines here and there). I found that really distracting.

The dance routines were very weak.

Good Stuff:
I absolutely adore Stanley Holloway, who played Eliza’s father, Alfred P. Doolittle. Every time he was on-screen, it was a delight. I loved his character, who in my opinion was the most honest person in the film. He prevents this movie from being utter crap.

Fantastic costumes, especially the women’s dresses!

As misogynist and classist as the character of Higgins is – and it gets very annoying at times – I appreciate that the film poked fun at him for it. For example, it’s pointed out more than once that, although he’s a gentlemen, his manners are ruder than those of people who are lower-class. I liked that his mother, played by Gladys Cooper, was absolutely appalled by him.

The Verdict:
My problem with “transformation” movies – this is not a criticism limited only to this particular one – is that they're meant to redeem the person who has pushed for the transformation and they never do. Higgins has nothing but contempt for Eliza the way she is. It is only after she becomes a lady that he begins to like her. So even though he is “taught a lesson” by the end (and I’m not convinced that Higgins did learn his lesson), the truth is that he never would have fallen for Eliza the way she was. Eliza is “better” by the end of the movie because she now dresses, speaks, and acts “properly.”

To me, that’s messed up. You either like people the way they are or you don’t. People shouldn’t have to change to fit your expectations. On the other hand, I find it hard to respect Eliza because she falls for a man who mostly showed nothing but contempt for her. That’s pretty messed up too. Honestly, it’s not a very nice love story.

For me, the best moment in the whole entire film was when Eliza ran into her father after he too was somewhat inadvertently transformed by his connection to Higgins. “I was happy before,” he tells her. “Now I’m trapped.” I found that refreshingly honest. For me, it saved the film because it showed a tremendous amount of insight. Being transformed doesn’t necessarily make you better; it just makes you different, and different isn’t always good.

Anyway, I guess I’ve gotten a bit too philosophical about a silly old musical. I didn’t hate it. I found a lot of it enjoyable, but I also found a lot of its implications troubling. In the end, I feel kind of neutral about it.

I give the movie 3 stars.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I heard a lot about this movie before I saw it and I remember being annoyed (and feeling a bit let down) that she went with the old guy, who was a complete jerk to her, and not with cute Freddy, who not only was in her age demographic, but also was much nicer and could actually sing.

That said, I love the costumes, and some of the songs are fantastic, even today. "The Street Where You Live" is my favorite, probably because Harry Connick Jr. sang a version of it.

As to the dancing. There was a period where I watched a slew of movie musicals and I remember being surprised at how few had actual dance numbers in them. Many of them were of the "stand and sing" variety. I finally just went and got the first Gene Kelly movie I could find because I knew it would have dancing in it.

balyien said...

Yeah, I really hate that she didn't end up with Freddy too. He was cute and sweet! Fun fact: while the actor who played Freddy could sing, they dubbed him over anyway. He didn't know until later.

Honestly, the costumes, some of the songs (I also love "The Street Where You Live"), and Alfred P. Doolittle make this movie palatable. If not for those three things, I would have loathed it.

Amy said...

Hi Jan! I haven't seen this movie, but it's interesting how many of your comments I found applicable to other transformation movies. I love The Breakfast Club, but have always wondered why the jock suddenly likes the basket case just because she puts on some eyeliner. Wasn't the whole point of this movie that they got to like each other for who they were, not for how they looked?

balyien said...

Amy - Thanks for the comment. I totally agree about "The Breakfast Club"!

"Grease" is another one that always leaves me feeling uneasy. Yes, both Danny and Sandy change for each other, but as soon as Danny sees Sandy's transformation, he gives up his new duds and goes back to the way he was. What's up with that?