Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Best Picture: "The Godfather: Part II," 1974


Movie Stats:
Released 1974 (USA)
American, in English (Italian, Sicilian, and Spanish, most translated, some not)
Director – Francis Ford Coppola (who last brought us The Godfather)
Stars – Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert DeNiro

Plot Summary:
The continuing saga of the Corleone family, as told through two alternating storylines: one set in the early 1900s, showcasing the rise of Vito (DeNiro) as a mafia don; the other set in the late 1950s, showing Michael’s (Pacino’s) struggles to take up his father Vito’s mantle. Duvall and Keaton reprise their roles as Tom Hagan and Kay Corleone respectively.

Warnings:
Lots of violence.

Bad Stuff:
It’s way too long, well over three hours.

I simply didn’t find Michael’s story very compelling this time. In fact, I thought it was fairly boring and kind of confusing. What exactly happened in the whole Roth-Corleone-Pentangeli triangle? I’m still not sure. If the whole movie had been about Vito, I would’ve been fine with that.

It was really dark, as in visually dark. I couldn’t see what was happening half the time.

Good Stuff:
The acting is the best part of this film by far. DeNiro did a fantastic job of mimicking the mannerisms and speaking style that Brando used in the first movie. Even though he doesn’t look much like Brando, he was very believable as a younger version of him. I was also impressed with Pacino in this film, much more so than in the last one.

The love that the Corleone men have for their families, especially their children, is very touching to me. They’re men of questionable morals doing terrible things and yet the way they look at their children – it hurts my heart in a good way. (Again, great acting there.)

The Verdict:
I really wanted to like this movie as much as the first one. Unfortunately, I didn't. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. While it’s not a bad movie, it’s definitely a letdown from the first. In my opinion, the storytelling just isn’t as good.

However, if you liked the first one, I do recommend seeing this one. You may find Michael’s story more interesting than I did, and you should certainly enjoy the fine acting and the great soundtrack.

I give the movie 3.75 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I've not seen this myself, but am I correct in thinking this is the only sequel to win Best Picture?

I do remember when III came out. What a brouhaha that was. But there was a very long time between II and III, so anticipation must have built up a lot.

ps. I hate movies that are visually dark. They bug.

balyien said...

Well, "Return of the King" won best picture, but it was the only one of the Lord of the Rings movies to have done so. I'm pretty sure that Godfather I & II are the only pair to have won.

I too am bugged by movies that are visually dark. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING.